Student information

Fall 2020 is underway, and we hope your semester has started off successfully. We know your semester will look and feel different as you take classes and join in activities and events in a virtual fashion, but we are committed to making your university experience an excellent one, full of engagement and community.

Unfortunately, fires, evacuations, and power outages are impacting our community in the midst of a pandemic. Safety is our priority and we want you to be as prepared as possible. Please make sure you and your loved ones are safe from fires, smoke and COVID. We want to provide some guidance in the event that you are impacted by fire evacuations or power outages this semester. 

What should you do to prepare for power outages?

  • Follow the news: sign up for alerts from your local power company.They will notice you of rolling blackouts or possible Public Safety Power Shutoff events are scheduled. You can also find out about evacuations and emergency situations in Sonoma County through the Sonoma County Department of Emergency Management or through similar offices in other counties.  

  • Sign up for NIXLE to get important updates for your zip code.

  • Keep your device(s) charged. Consider the possibility of getting a backup charger or powerpack.

  • Download class materials to your local device so that you can access them even if internet access goes out or you do not have access and be aware of assignment deadlines

  • Find out what your professor expects you to do. Communicate with your professor if you have to evacuate or have a power outage that has affected your ability to attend class or turn in work on time. You may need to watch a recorded class or complete a task to catch up with in-class work you missed.

  • We recommend all students having a Personal Preparedness Kit, and plan for at least three days worth of personal needs (i.e. clothing, medication, glasses/contacts, etc.)

  • If you live on campus, be sure to review the Emergency Preparedness website and check in with your Resident Advisor (RA) or Area Coordinator (AC) if you have questions.

If you have questions or need additional support from the University you can always reach out