Campus Air Quality FAQ

November 14, 2018

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if classes are canceled?

A notice will appear on the SSU main website for cancellations or changes in operations on campus each day by 6:30 a.m.

Why did SSU open when some of the surrounding K-12 schools were closed?

Area school districts may choose to close out of caution for the sensitive populations they serve, and children by definition are considered sensitive. On the afternoon of Nov. 13, 2018, local school districts announced that they would be open if the Air Quality Index was under 275. Throughout emergency situations and as a course of normal business operations, SSU monitors air quality and has experts (e.g., environmental health and safety as well as emergency management) who are trained to help evaluate environmental conditions. Please note, too, that after the 2017 fires, Sonoma State invested in high-quality air filtration systems for all buildings on campus that provide exceptional filtering capabilities. Please check the website for updates on campus closures.

Where can I find out about the air quality on campus or at my home? Does the campus plan to provide frequent updates on the air quality so that students can determine when it is best for them to return to class? is an excellent source for information on air quality. If that site is not working, there is a civilian website,, that also provides good information. While supplies last, N95 masks are available at the information kiosks near the Green Music Center and the flagpole, as well as in the Student Center. Your health and safety are our number one concern. If you believe you should not be on campus for work or classes, see the FAQ below to notify the appropriate people.

What if I am unable to come to campus for work or classes?

Students: Please notify your faculty member(s) as outlined in the course syllabi you received at the beginning of the semester. If you need additional assistance please email and an appropriate advisor or other person will be in touch with you to ensure your needs are met.

Faculty: Please notify your dean and contact Human Resources (

Staff: Please notify your appropriate administrator.

Is there a penalty for students opting not to attend class out of concern for their health?

Students should make decisions about missing class based on their own health and safety concerns. Any student who believes they need to be absent should contact faculty as explained in the FAQ above.  Faculty will be working with students on a case-by-case basis to meet the learning outcomes and priorities for each course.

What does it mean if campus is closed?

When the campus closes, business operations are limited to essential services only. Access to all classroom and office buildings is on an emergency basis only. If students are still in campus housing, essential services like dining continue to operate for those students. Campus closures will be announced and specific information about campus operations and access to campus buildings will be outlined on the SSU website. Please check the website regularly for updates. 

I have been impacted by the fires. How can I find assistance?

Students, faculty, and staff should contact NomaCares at 707-664-2730 or email NomaCares is available for SSU community members who have been impacted by recent fires and related events.

What if I need to withdraw from a single course I am taking this fall?

The deadline for Petitions to Withdraw from an individual class with $20 administrative fee has been extended to Monday, November 19. Please note that, as usual, withdrawing from classes is permitted for serious or compelling reasons only - documentation must be attached. For definitions of serious and compelling and for more information about the course withdrawal process, please see This change will not impact the standard prorated refund schedule. Please email Financial Aid if you have questions about the refund schedule at

What if I need to withdraw for the whole semester?

The deadline for withdrawing for the whole semester has been extended to Friday, December 14. Please note that, as usual, withdrawing from all classes for the semester is permitted for serious or compelling reasons only - documentation must be attached. For definitions of serious and compelling and for more information about the semester withdrawal process, please see

If I am a student, how should I talk with faculty about requesting extensions on course deadlines?

Email or phone faculty as soon as you know you may need an extension. The sooner they know, the sooner they can help you on a case-by-case basis.

How should I as a faculty member respond to students who miss assignments or exams or who have been left homeless or are otherwise impacted by the fires?

Please be very clear about your expectations and explain to students how the syllabus or course schedule for your course has changed as a result of the class periods missed. The academic calendar has not changed, but we encourage you to work with students to make up major assignments or exams and to adjust your schedule to provide time for students to do that work in the remaining weeks of the semester. Remember that students may have lost books or course materials in the fires and so may need assistance to continue with course work. Several textbook companies are offering free replacement materials due to fire loss.  Please refer students to appropriate resources such as CAPS, the Office of Financial Aid, academic advisors, Disability Services, the Writing Center, the Tutoring Center, and other campus services.

Services for Students:

  • Academic Advising: Please visit the Undeclared Advising office in Salazar 1070. Students can also call our office at (707) 664-2730, or email or
  • Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) counselors: Please visit the CAPS office in Stevenson 1088 or call us at (707) 664-2153.
  • Seawolf Services: Please visit us on the ground floor of Salazar Hall, call us at (707) 664-2308, or email us at
  • FAQs: Continue to check NomaCares FAQ page
  • Lost Course materials/textbooks: email Bookstore manager at with your needs.   

Services for Staff & Faculty

Faculty Affairs: Please call (707) 664-2192 or visit the Faculty Affairs website

Payroll and Benefits: Please call (707)664-2793 or visit the Payroll and Benefits website